These easy-to-make, fluffy pancakes are made with oat flour and almond milk. They are not just delicious but also really good for you. With a simple step-by-step recipe, you will have a nourishing breakfast in 30 minutes.
The post has extra tips to make sure the recipe comes out amazing on your first try. If you're in a rush, use the link above to jump to the recipe card at the end! 👩🍳🔝
Oat flour pancake recipe
Reasons to make this recipe
Gluten-free pancakes are not easy to make, it is a fact. Pancakes are meant to be light and fluffy and it is not easily achieved without the gluten in the wheat flour. However, this recipe might be just what you were looking for.
- Simple ingredients: I love this recipe because it only requires a few simple ingredients which you most likely have at home at any time.
- Low in sugar: They are only lightly sweetened with organic sugar, only 2 teaspoons for the whole batch.
- Healthy pancakes: As you might have heard before oats are among the healthiest grains on Earth and are incredibly nutritious. Whole oats are high in antioxidants and have an anti-inflammatory effect.
- Easy to make. This recipe is incredibly easy to make and if you are following the instructions in the recipe card below, you will have fluffy pancakes in no time.
As already mentioned these fluffy oat flour pancakes do not require complicated ingredients. Let's have a look at what we will need:
- Oat flour. While oats are typically well-tolerated by many individuals with gluten sensitivity, those with celiac disease may encounter issues. To ensure the utmost safety, I highly recommend opting for certified gluten-free oat flour.
- Milk. I used almond milk to make this recipe, however, any dairy or plant-based milk will work just fine.
- Egg. One free-range egg is all we need.
- Baking powder.
See the full list of ingredients in the recipe card below👇
How to make homemade oat flour
If you can't find certified gluten-free flour in the grocery store you can make your own oat flour.
You can use rolled oats or quick oats to make the four. However, I do not recommend using steel oats, in my experience, they are too coarse for this purpose.
DON'T FORGET TO USE CERTIFIED GLUTEN-FREE OATS TO MAKE GLUTEN-FREE OAT FLOUR.
- Place the oats into your food processor or a high-speed blender. If you're making a large batch, you may want to do this in smaller batches to ensure even grinding.
- Close the lid securely and pulse the oats. If you're using a food processor, you may need to stop and scrape down the sides a few times to ensure all the oats are ground evenly. If you're using a blender, use the pulse function to avoid over-blending.
- Continue blending or pulsing until the oats have flour-like consistency. This usually takes about 30 seconds to 1 minute, depending on the power of your machine.
- Transfer the oat flour to an airtight container and store it in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight. Properly stored, homemade oat flour can last for several months.
This is how easy it is to make oat flour at home.
How to make oat flour pancakes
Now let's have a look at how to make the oat flour pancakes:
- In a large mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients such as oat flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and a pinch of salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk together milk and egg until well combined. Add sugar to the wet ingredients and whisk until sugar has dissolved.
- Now transfer the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and combine thoroughly without overmixing. Let the batter rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat the frying pan over medium heat and give it a light coating of olive or coconut oil. I prefer using a pastry brush to evenly spread the oil for a perfect cook.
- Once the frying pan is hot, spoon a tablespoon of the pancake batter onto it. Cook for about 2-3 minutes, keeping an eye out for the edges looking slightly dry.
- Now gently flip the pancakes and cook them on the other side for approximately two minutes, or until they look golden brown and are perfectly cooked through.
- Repeat with the remaining batter. Remember to add a touch more oil to the pan for each new batch.
To keep the pancakes warm, place them in a low-temperature oven until you're ready to serve. However, nothing beats the taste of these pancakes when they're freshly cooked.
You can make vegan oat flour pancakes by simply replacing the egg with flax eggs.
Flax eggs: In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed with 6 tablespoons of water. Stir well and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes until it thickens. This mixture will serve as your egg substitute.
How to store leftover pancakes
If you happen to have some leftover pancakes you can easily store them for later use. They make a great snack or quick breakfast when you need it. This will prevent pancakes from becoming soggy.
- To avoid sticking, place a piece of parchment paper between the pancakes.
- Place them in an airtight container and refrigerate for 3-4 days.
- Reheat them in a frying pan with a dash of oil or butter and enjoy!
Freezing the pancakes
Not planning on eating the pancakes in the next couple of days, then consider freezing them.
- Follow the same storage tips as above but place the pancakes in a freezer-safe container or ziploc bag and freeze them for 1-2 months.
- When you're ready to enjoy your leftover pancakes, reheating is simple. You can use a toaster, toaster oven, or a pan to reheat them.
How to serve oat flour pancakes:
You can serve your pancakes with any of your favorite toppings, Here are a couple of ideas for you to try:
- Classic: Drizzle maple syrup over your oat flour pancakes and add a pat of butter for that classic pancake flavor.
- Berries and fruit: Top your pancakes with fresh berries, sliced bananas, or other favorite fresh fruit for a burst of freshness and natural sweetness.
- Nut Butter: Spread almond butter, peanut butter, or your preferred nut butter on your pancakes for a creamy, nutty flavor. Try them with my homemade Nutella.
- Honey and Greek Yogurt: Combine Greek yogurt with honey for a sweet and tangy topping.
- Smoked Salmon: Top your pancakes with smoked salmon, cream cheese, and a sprinkle of fresh dill for a unique twist.
- Avocado and Salsa: Add sliced avocado and a spoonful of salsa for a south-of-the-border flavor.
More healthy breakfast ideas
Have you tried this recipe? If so, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could leave a star rating and share your thoughts in a comment. Your feedback means a lot to me, and it can also help others who are interested in trying it out. Thank you! 🌟👩🍳
Oat flour pancakes recipe
- 2 cups oat flour
- 2 teaspoon sugar I use organic raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup almond milk you can use any milk you have on hand
- 1 egg free-range if possible
- Mix Dry Ingredients: In a large bowl, combine oat flour, ground cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Prepare Wet Ingredients: In a separate bowl, whisk together milk and egg. Add sugar to the wet ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Combine and Stir: Pour the wet ingredient mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir gently until all the ingredients are fully combined. Be careful not to overmix; a few lumps are okay. Let the bater rest for 5 m inutes.
- Preheat and Oil the Pan: Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Coat it with a small amount of olive or coconut oil. You can use a pastry brush to spread the oil evenly across the pan's surface.
- Once the frying pan is hot, add a tablespoon of pancake batter on to the pan. Cook for approximately 2 to 3 minutes, or until you start to see that the edges appear slightly dry.
- Flip and Continue: Carefully flip the pancakes to the other side. Continue cooking for about two more minutes, or until they are fully cooked through and are golden-brown.
- Before adding a new batch of pancakes to the pan, remember to brush the frying pan with a little more oil. This ensures they don't stick and cook evenly.
- Keep Warm: If you're making several batches or want to keep your pancakes warm, you can place them in a low-temperature oven until you're ready to serve.
- Serve your delicious pancakes with your favorite toppings, and savor every bite. Enjoy!