Looking for a quick dinner recipe? Try this cozy and super easy-to-make one-pot lentil and beetroot soup recipe.
I love good soup for so many reasons. The texture, especially in a cream soup. I like the warmth and comfort it provides. I also like soups because most of the time they contain a lot of wholesome ingredients like vegetables, legumes and broths. This beautiful red soup is all of that. It is made with red lentils, beetroot, red capsicum, onions and garlic. It is nourishing, filling and delicious.
Some of my other favorite soup recipes are:
You see you have no excuse not to make this recipe! And if you are still in doubt, did I mention that this soup is family and kid-friendly too? I mean what kid wouldn't like a PINK soup? Just add a spoon full of plain yogurt and the soup will turn pink. Hint, hint! 🙂
One-Pot Lentil and beetroot soup
- 2 medium-sized beetroots diced (the smaller you cut the beets the faster your soup will cook)
- ¾ cup of red lentils rinsed
- 1 red capsicum chopped
- 3 large tomatoes skinned and diced or 1 tin of organic diced tomatoes
- 1 small red or brown onion roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 5 cups of water you can use vegetable or chicken stock if you like
- 1 tablespoon of butter or olive oil
- salt and pepper to season
- yoghurt of your choice and some fresh greens like coriander or parsley to garnish
- Put all the ingredients in a large pot and bring to the boil.
- Lower the heat to low and simmer the soup for about 20 minutes or until your beets are cooked and are soft. Use a fork or knife to see if they are fully cooked.
- Using a kitchen mixer, blend the soup to the desired consistency. Please be very careful not to burn yourself.
- Add some salt and pepper if desired and serve with yoghurt and some fresh greens of your choice.
- That's it! Enjoy!