This quinoa salad with tahini dressing is so fresh and delicious you will make it again and again. It makes a perfect lunch or dinner. It will also stay fresh for multiple days and is a great option for meal prep.
Recently I got a message through my blog where someone asked me why am I posting so many summer recipes? This is a fair question. I know that many of you have winter now, but I am in Melbourne, Australia and February is a summer month (which still sounds funny to me even after ten years of living here). But summer or not I just love summer recipes because usually they require less cooking time than the winter ones. You chop some vegetables, put some protein on the bbq and a healthy family dinner is ready. And I hope I won't disappoint you but today I have another summer recipe for you. However, I believe that this one can be enjoyed all year round. With lots of love and sunshine coming your way from down under 🙂 Just pin the recipe and make this delicious quick quinoa salad with tahini dressing later in the year.
This quinoa salad with tahini dressing is super easy to make. You don't have to follow the recipe to make it. You can choose your favorite vegetables, beans or legumes to add to it. Why not add some carrots, green beans, peas, chickpeas, cherry tomatoes or some spinach leaves? The options are unlimited. BUT!!! You have to make this tahini dressing! Because that is what makes this salad different and oh sooo delicious!
5 Reasons to eat quinoa
Quinoa! Where should I start? By now everyone knows what it is and even how to pronounce it (KEEN-wah) 🙂 And this is truly great because quinoa is named a superfood for a reason.
- First of all, I love quinoa because it is GLUTEN-FREE!! And is a great replacement for couscous, farro and bulgar.
- Quinoa is high in protein and is one of the few plant foods that contain sufficient amounts of all nine essential amino acids. It is great for vegans.
- Quinoa is rich in plant antioxidants called flavonoids which have been shown to have anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, anti-cancer, and anti-depressant effects. (source)
- It is high in iron and magnesium. Many people, especially women are deficient in those important minerals. By eating just one cup of cooked quinoa you will get 30% of the RDA of magnesium and 15% of iron.
- Last but not least, quinoa is delicious, easy to prepare, and very versatile. It can be cooked in advance and used on weeknights for quick dinners.
Check out these gluten-free recipes with quinoa you might enjoy:
Buddha Bowl With Roasted Broccoli and Chickpeas
Are you ready? Let's make it!
Quinoa salad with tahini dressing.
Quinoa salad with tahini dressing
- 1 cup of quinoa rinsed in a fine-mesh colander
- 2 cups of water
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ of a continental or telegraph cucumber, diced
- 1 small red capsicum diced
- 1 cup of shredded iceberg lettuce or any other lettuce of your choice
- 1 handful of coriander leaves
For tahini dressing:
- ½ cup tahini paste
- ¼ cup tamari gluten-free soy sauce
- ½ cup cold water
- lemon juice from ½ lemon
- ½ clove of garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 cm fresh ginger finely grated
- Start by cooking the quinoa. Rinse the quinoa in a fine-mesh colander for a couple of minutes under running water. In a medium-size saucepan bring two cups of water to the boil and add a pinch of salt and the rinsed quinoa. Bring the quinoa to the boil, lower the heat and let simmer for 10 to 15 minutes stirring occasionally. Quinoa varies in size so it is important to try it after ten minutes to make sure you don't overcook it. You don't want mushy quinoa. If any water remains after the quinoa is cooked, drain it in the fine-mesh colander and let the quinoa cool down a little. I do not cover my quinoa while cooking.
- To make the dressing place all ingredients in a small food processor and blend together. You can also use a glass jar to make the dressing, just make sure you shake it long enough so that the tahini is properly dissolved.
- If serving immediately you might want to mix all the ingredients and the dressing in a large bowl before serving. If you want to eat it later simply put all ingredients in separate air-tight containers and refrigerate for up to three days. Enjoy!!
This is exactly what I need today! Super quick & simple but healthy and delicious at the same time.