- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion halved & thinly sliced, take two if you like fried onions
- 2⁄3 cup basmati rice rinsed
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tin of organic lentils (400g tin) drained & rinsed, use BPA-free if you can
- 2 cups (250ml) water
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup of fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- Start by heating olive oil in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and fry on low, stirring frequently until onions are soft and golden. It will take you approximately 10 minutes.
- While onions are cooking measure and rinse your rice in a mesh colander, and leave in the colander to dry.
- Once the onions are done transfer them to a plate. Do not wash your frying pan we will need it to cook rice.
- Return the frying pan to the heat.
- Add rice and spices to the saucepan and stir to coat. Fry the rice for a couple of minutes until the rice is dry and the spices are fragrant. Add water cover, and simmer on low for 15 minutes, until the rice is tender.
- While rice is cooking, open and rinse the lentils in the mesh colander, and leave to drain. and bring to the boil. Lower the heat down to low, cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked, stir through lentils, take off the heat, and cover. Let it sit for another 10 minutes.
- Add the onions and coriander to the rice dish and mix well with a fork.
- Garnish with some extra coriander leaves and enjoy!!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: side dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Middle eastern
Keywords: Spiced Rice, rice & Lentils, Mejadra, gluten-free