If you cook only one recipe from this blog, let it be this Easy One-Pot Sticky Chicken recipe! I promise you this dish is a BIG keeper. It is a perfect way to impress a small dinner party and the easiest way to make your little ones ask for more. Let me show you how you can make it in no time. Don’t forget to pin it!
First published on the 17.11.2020, updated on the 10.11.2021
What will you need to make this One-Pot Sticky Chicken Recipe:
- 6 chicken steaks, thighs with bone and skin on. I found this recipe doesn’t work with chicken breast. The dark meat from the chicken is much juicier and more tender than the chicken breast. You could also use drumsticks or marylands.
- 4 small shallots, finely diced. If you don’t have shallots, a regular onion will work just fine.
- 3 garlic cloves, grated or pressed
- 3 cm ginger, grated
- 1 cup of coconut/almond milk. I am in Australia and I love Nutty Bruce milk for this recipe. Of course you are free to use any other brand. You also can use plain coconut milk, just make sure you opt for a good quality coconut milk, it makes a huge differnce. Check the lable, it should be coconut extract or cream and water, nothing else.
- 7 tbsp of kecap manis. I make my own kecap manis, recipe below.
- salt and pepper to season
- 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- Basmati or Jasmin rice
- Fresh coriander leaves
What to serve with the sticky chicken?
The sauce of this chicken is absolutely finger-licking good and you want to have some rice to soak up the sauce. 😉 I would also recommend making the FIVE-MINUTE ASIAN-STYLE PICKLED CUCUMBER SALAD because it goes really well together with the chicken and rice. By the way, check out this blog post if you need help with HOW TO COOK PERFECT BASMATI RICE ON THE STOVE.
How to make Kecap Manis
As I mentioned before, I make my own kecap manis. It is so much better than the store-bought variety. Most of the time kecap manis is made using high-fructose corn syrup, caramel color, and preservatives. Unless of course, you have found one with all-natural ingredients, then please let me know where you got it from. To make Kecap Manis is extremely easy:
- Combine sugar and tamari in a small saucepan and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Let it gently boil for 3-4 minutes. Watch it carefully so it doesn’t burn. It will bubble a little and thicken. Think fresh cream-like consistency.
- Take the sauce off the heat and let it cool while you are preparing the chicken.
Here is how you get this delicious Chicken dinner on the table 🙂
Start by making the kecap manis, see how to make it above.
- In a deep frying pan heat some olive oil on medium heat. Add chicken steaks skin down and let them cook for about 10 minutes until the skin is nice and golden. Turn them around and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Take the chicken out and add 1 tbsp of olive oil. No need to clean the frying pan, unless your chicken got accidentally burnt.
- Add shallots, garlic, and ginger to the pan. Fry for a couple of minutes until fragrant and shallots have softened. Stir often.
- Add kecap manis and milk into the frying pan.
- Put chicken back into the frying pan, bring to simmer, and cook for 20 minutes with the lid on.
- Your chicken is now ready to be served. Enjoy
How to store leftovers from One-Pot Sticky Chicken
If you happened to have any leftovers, which is highly unlikely, you can refrigerate it in an air-tight container for up to 3 days. It is also a good meal-prep idea. You can cook the recipe on Sunday and enjoy a delicious dinner later in the week. Just cook fresh rice 🙂
Can I freeze the sticky chicken?
Absolutely! If you would like to cook the chicken ahead of time, you can freeze it in an air-tight container for up to 3 months. Take the chicken out of the freezer on the morning you are planning to serve it and let it defrost naturally. Then simply warm it up in a wok or deep frying pan until the chicken is hot. You might need to add a little splash of coconut milk or water.