A salad in 5 minutes? Yes, with this quick Asian pickled cucumbers recipe it is possible! Fast and delicious - be prepared to make them again and again!
Quick Asian pickled cucumbers
- Quick Asian pickled cucumbers
- What will you need to make quick Asian cucmbers
- How to make pickled cucumbers
- How long can pickled cucumbers last?
- Is this pickled cucumber recipe gluten-free?
- What to serve with Asian pickled cucumbers
- Here are a couple of Asian-inspired recipes for you to try:
- Frequently asked questions
- How to make Asian pickled cucumbers - printable recipe & video
- Quick Asian pickled cucumbers
These Asian pickled cucumbers are a perfect dish. It is delicious and nutritious. Despite the fact, that it only requires 5 minutes and very few ingredients, this pickled salad will not fail to impress! You can give it to your kids as a snack or serve it as a part of a BBQ or dinner party. Big and small eaters alike will love it.
What will you need to make quick Asian cucmbers
This quick pickled cucumber has ONE main ingredient - a cucumber! And as for marinade, only a couple of simple ingredients are needed. I bet you already have them in your fridge and pantry anyway:
- Rice vinegar.
- Tamari sauce, which is gluten-free soy sauce. You can use just regular soy sauce if you are not following a gluten-free diet.
- Sesame oil.
- Pinch of sugar. Raw and organic is your best choice.
- Toasted sesame seeds. They add even more Asian flavor. Plus they look great tossed on top of the cucumbers.
See the full ingredients list in the recipe card below.
How to make pickled cucumbers
Making this Asian pickled cucumber is extremely easy. This a perfect recipe if you are in a hurry or new in the kitchen. There are only three easy steps:
- Chop the cucumbers, and put them in a mixing bowl.
- In a salad dressing mixer or a glass jar, mix rice vinegar, soy sauce (I use tamari), sesame oil, and organic brown sugar. Shake, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the cucumbers, mix and enjoy the crispy pickles. Or refrigerate for a couple of hours to get even more flavor.
You can watch the video in the recipe card below on how to make these pickled cucumbers if you need some help.
How long can pickled cucumbers last?
These Asian pickled cucumbers can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container or a mason jar for up to 3 days. You can even make this simple cucumber recipe ahead of time and refrigerate them. Keep in mind that cucumbers will get a bit softer as they marinate, which will make them even more delicious!
Is this pickled cucumber recipe gluten-free?
As you hopefully know, soy sauce is not gluten-free and is not safe for you if you are following a gluten-free diet. That is why so important you choose the gluten-free variety when preparing this pickle recipe. I use organic tamari sauce, it tastes just like your ordinary soy sauce and won't cause you any problems.
What to serve with Asian pickled cucumbers
This simple pickled salad is very versatile and can be enjoyed in many ways. You can serve it as a side dish or make a big batch for a BBQ party. I like adding it to my POKE BOWL RECIPE, served with FURIKAKE - JAPANESE RICE SEASONING.
Here are a couple of Asian-inspired recipes for you to try:
Frequently asked questions
In my opinion, the best cucumbers to use are the long continental cucumbers. They are also known as telegraph, English, and continental cucumbers. But any fresh cucumbers will work in this recipe. Just make sure the cucumber is firm.
Many people deseed cucumbers, I don't. I find it to be a waste of vegetables. But if you prefer to deseed it, just cut the cucumber in half, lengthwise. Using a teaspoon simply run a spoon down the length of the cucumber, allowing the gentle curve of the spoon to remove all of the seeds as you go. Here is an excellent blog post on how to deseed a cucumber
You can use this Asian pickled cucumber recipe to pickle all kinds of vegetables, such as carrots, radishes, green beans, daikon, or cauliflower. You can add it to the rice noodles to make a quick Vietnamese salad. This marinade is delicious and the recipe is really worthy of being saved. Enjoy!
How to make Asian pickled cucumbers - printable recipe & video
Quick Asian pickled cucumbers
- 1 large continental cucumber or any other cucumber you have in the fridge
- 4 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of gluten-free soy sauce I use tamari
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon organic brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon chilly flakes optional and not used in the recipe featured in this post
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- First, wash and cut the cucumber into bite-size pieces. Put in a bowl.
- Combine the rice vinegar, gluten-free soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil in a glass jar or a salad dressing mixer and shake well.
- Add marinade to the cucumber and mix to combine.
- Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds over the cucumber. Serve!
Made this for dinner tonight and absolutely loved it! Definitely a winner that I will make again. So easy and still super flavorful!
Thank you for the lovely comment, Ola! So happy to hear you enjoyed it!
These easy picles are such a wonderful complement to almost any meal. The acidic sweet/sour brine balances the rich fattiness of almost any protein. Delicious!
So happy to hear you enjoyed it, Glenda! Thank you for the lovely comment!
I love my Mums salad
Thank you Max! And I love you!
I made this last night and it was a HIT. Thanks for another great recipe.
Thanks, Julia! Glad to hear you enjoyed it!
Cucumber is so refreshing in the heat and I love quick tasty salads like this. Thanks for sharing.
Love how quick and easy this pickled cucumber recipe is! The whole family loved it.
This is so easy and so flavorful! Love it.
Yum! Made this cucumber dish to go with Korean Bibimbap and it was a perfect accompaniment! So quick and easy!
So happy to hear you enjoyed it!
Journa Liz Ramirez
One of the best pickle recipes I've tried. It is so simple and quick and satisfyingly good. Must-try!
So happy to hear you enjoyed them, Journa! They are simple and quick! 😊
These are fantastic! I’m going to keep some on hand all the time. Thanks for the recipe!
You are welcome! They are so easy to make, glad you enjoyed them!
One of the best cucumber recipes I've ever tried and will definitely make this again!
Thank you, Cam! So happy to hear you enjoyed it!!