Let's make Fried Rice for dinner. This easy recipe will show you how to make this popular takeaway meal at home. All you need is precooked rice and 20 minutes of your time.
Easy Fried Rice Recipe
Is it a takeout night tonight? But wait for a second! Before you pick up that Chinese takeout menu. I can show you how to make delicious fried rice that is better and cheaper than any takeout.
What is the easiest meal to make for dinner to ensure your whole family is on board? For us, it is spaghetti bolognese and… FRIED RICE! There are many different fried rice recipes, Chinese fried rice, Japanese, and Thai. This is my version of fried rice and I assume it is a fusion 😉. What matters though is that it tastes great and has natural simple ingredients only. Easy dinner that everyone enjoys.
Fried rice is usually made using the oyster sauce. I have looked for a good quality oyster sauce for a long time now and could not find any. All of the sauces that I have come across include MSG and most of them have gluten. Not a good combination for people with gluten intolerance.
And this is precisely why this fried recipe is so good.
- Easy Fried Rice Recipe
- Reasons to make the easy fried rice recipe:
- Ingredients for fried rice:
- What rice to use
- How to make quick fried rice at home
- How to serve
- How long does fried rice last in the fridge
- More rice recipes that are perfect for busy weeknights:
- More easy Asian recipes that are better than any takeout
- Easy Fried Rice Recipe (Gluten-Free)
Reasons to make the easy fried rice recipe:
- Free from MSG, only simple natural ingredients.
- Gluten-free. Thanks to my Fried Rice sauce, you can enjoy this quick meal without being worried. It is safe for anyone with celiac disease or gluten intolerance.
- Easy to make. This is a quick cheat recipe. Keep reading to find out why.
- Kid-friendly, my kids inhale this simple Asian meal.
- Budget-friendly. Only 5 simple ingredients are needed.
Ingredients for fried rice:
To make fried rice we will need cooked rice. Ideally, you would cook it the night before and refrigerate it.
- Chicken mince. Yes, to make this simple recipe we will cheat a little and use chicken mince. It will cook much faster and add a lot of flavor to our dish. Plus you don't have to cut the chicken, less washing up.
- Cooked leftover rice.
- Fresh garlic and ginger.
- Eggs, free-range or organic if possible.
- A mix of frozen vegetables. I used a mix of carrots, peas, and corn, but you can add any other vegetables you prefer. Bell peppers (capsicum) are a great addition, and so are mini corn and green beans.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
Fried rice sauce ingredients
- Soy sauce. To make gluten-free fried rice we will need gluten-free soy sauce or tamari. Be aware - regular soy sauce contains gluten.
- Fish sauce. Same here, check that the fish sauce is gluten-free.
- Lime juice from fresh limes.
- Sweetener of your choice. Raw sugar, coconut sugar, honey or maple syrup.
Green onions to serve. Leave them out if serving the fried rice to little kids. We have enough vegetables in this recipe to make it a nourishing meal without any complaints about the GREEN STUFF.
What rice to use
The secret to a bowl of good fried rice is rice. You need to have pre-cooked rice that has cooled down completely before you start. Freshly cooked rice will become mushy when frying. So day-old rice is perfect for this recipe. Or cook it at least an hour before you start preparing the fried rice.
To make this recipe you can use pretty much any rice you like. Chinese recipes use medium-grain rice, Thai jasmine rice, and Japanese use round sushi rice. I used basmati rice because I find it is the easiest variety to cook. You can also use brown rice or cauliflower rice for a low-carb alternative.
If you need help cooking rice, head over to HOW TO COOK BASMATI RICE.
How to make quick fried rice at home
Make sure you have prepared all ingredients BEFORE you start. The eggs are in a bowl, lightly whisked, and the vegetables are diced, minced, and grated.
- Mix the sauce ingredients in a little bowl or a glass jar and set aside.
- Heat some olive oil in a large wok or a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and ginger and fry for a minute or two. Stir it constantly so that the garlic and ginger don’t get burnt.
- Add the chicken mince and fry it breaking apart until the chicken is cooked
- Push the chicken mince to one side of the wok and add beaten eggs. Let the eggs set a little and then using a wooden spoon break them into little pieces and mix with the chicken mince.
- Add the fried rice sauce, mix and fry the chicken mince until it starts to caramelize.
- Add frozen diced vegetables and fry for 2-3 minutes on high heat.
- Now add rice and gently mix everything together, breaking the rice apart with a wooden spoon. Cook for 4-5 minutes over medium-high heat until rice is heated thoroughly.
See the full cooking process in the recipe card below or watch the video.
How to serve
This fried rice is a complete meal and makes a perfect lunch or dinner. Enjoy it with some crispy shallots, chilli flakes, and sliced green onions.
PARTY FOOD IDEA 🎉 You could also serve it as party food. Simply serve it in some lettuce cups 🥬. Cos lettuce and iceberg lettuce are perfect for this. It is such a fun idea for a party, plus you will add some greens to your meal.
How long does fried rice last in the fridge
I would not recommend storing the leftover fried rice for later use. The rice was already refrigerated and reheated. While I have no concerns about refrigerating rice for a day or two, I would not recommend reheating it twice.
More rice recipes that are perfect for busy weeknights:
More easy Asian recipes that are better than any takeout
Did you know I have a Youtube channel? Make sure to check it out.
Easy Fried Rice Recipe (Gluten-Free)
- 2 cups cooked and cooled basmati or jasmine rice. One day old rice is the best
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger. Approximately 3 cm of fresh ginger
- 2 eggs, free-range or organic if possible. Lightly whisked
- 1 cup frozen vegetable mix, such as peas, corn and carrots
- 2 spring onion cut into 2 cm (½inch) (optional)
- 3 tablespoons crispy shallots (optional)
- FRIED RICE SAUCE
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce. Use Tamari for gluten-free version
- 2 tablespoon fish sauce. Choose gluten-free variety
- 1 small lime juiced
- 1 teaspoon organic raw sugar. Or use maple syrup or honey
- Make sure all the above ingredients are prepared and are ready to go before you start cooking!
- Mix soy sauce, fish sauce, lime juice and sugar in a glass jar or a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or a large skillet over medium heat and stir-fry garlic and ginger for about 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken mince and fry until the chicken is fully cooked
- Move the chicken mince to one side and add the whisked eegs. Scramble and mix the eggs with the chicken mince.
- Add the fried rice sauce. Mix it with the chicken mince and the eggs and cook on high, until the chicken starts to caramelize.
- Add the vegetable mix and stir-fry on high for 2-3 minutes until everything is hot and cooked through.
- Add cooked rice and using a wooden spoon break it apart. Mix with chicken and vegetables and cook for a couple of minutes stirring frequently until rice is heated through.
- Serve with crispy shallots and green onions. Enjoy!