Delicious, creamy cauliflower soup without cream, cheese, or flour? Yes, please. This healthy cauliflower soup is silky, and smooth and is surely going to be one of your all-time favourites.
Why should you try it:
- Gluten-free. As with all recipes on my site this cauliflower and potato soup is absolutely gluten-free!
- Easy to make. This creamy soup is done in 30 minutes from start to finish.
- Basic ingredients. I bet you already have everything in your fridge.
- Meal prep. Cook it in advance and enjoy it the next day or later in the week.
- Kid-friendly. What a great way to make your kids eat cauliflower. With this potato and cauliflower soup, it is absolutely possible. They will never know 😉
- Great for a dinner party. You can serve it to your guests as a starter before the main meal. The cauliflower chips make it look very sophisticated. Be prepared to share the soup recipe though, because they will ask for it 😉
- Dairy-free and vegan if you wish. Just swap butter for olive oil.
- Healthy! This creamy cauliflower soup is packed with nutrients and vitamins. Keep reading to find out why cauliflower is good for our health.
Cauliflower, the health benefits
What if I told you you can take a pill, only 3 to 4 times a week and this pill will dramatically reduce your chance of getting breast, colon, prostate, and ovarian caver? Would you take it? What if I told you that cauliflower does just that? It is true!
Various studies have shown that the bioactive components of cruciferous vegetables can have beneficial effects on biomarkers of cancer-related processes in people. Additionally, cauliflower helps to detoxify your liver. Pretty amazing isn’t it?!
And what is the main ingredient of this delicious soup? You are welcome! 🙂
- Cauliflower. Half a head of fresh cauliflower, torn into small florets. The smaller the florets the shorter the cooking time.
- Potatoes. Any regular white potatoes will work. Cut them into small pieces to shorten the cooking time
- Leek. Leek will add sweetness to this soup. It is a great source of vitamins A, C, and K, and contains lots of dietary fibre (better health channel). Don't have leek on hand? No problem, I cooked this recipe countless times using brown onion instead. It still turns out delicious.
- Fresh thyme and rosemary. Fresh is the best, but you can substitute it with a teaspoon of dried Italian herbs. Using herbs in your cooking is a simple way to add those much-needed antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds.
- Water or vegetable stock.
- Butter or olive oil for a vegan version.
- Salt and black pepper to season.
As you can see this creamy cauliflower soup without cream is not just super easy and quick to make, but it also comes with many health benefits and is extremely good for you. It is anti-inflammatory and gluten-free by nature.
How to make creamy cauliflower soup without cream
- Melt butter in a medium-size soup pot or a dutch oven on medium-low heat.
- Slice and saute the leek. It is important not to rush through this step because the sweetness of the soup comes from the leek. The longer you saute it the more flavour it will develop. It has to be sauteed on a very low heat so that the leek gets soft but DOES NOT caramelize.
- Add fresh or dried herbs and let it sautee for a couple of minutes.
- Slice potatoes and add them along with cauliflower florets to the leek. Mix well and cook the vegetables for a couple of minutes.
- Add water so that the vegetables are just covered. If using fresh rosemary and thyme, take them out now.
- Bring the soup to a boil over medium-high heat. Once the soup starts to boil, lower the heat down to low, and let it simmer for 10 minutes until the potatoes and cauliflower are very soft and literally falling apart.
- Place soup into a food processor and blend until the soup is JUST smooth. The time will vary depending on the blender you use. I use a Thermomix and it takes me 20 seconds on speed 8. You can also use a handstand blender. Do not over-process the soup. When blended for too long the soup will become gooey, thanks to potato starches.
How to store
This easy cauliflower soup is a great meal-prep idea. It can be cooked in advance and stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to three days. Simply reheat it on the stove in a saucepan until the soup is hot.
How to freeze it
It also can be frozen for up to three months. Make sure the cauliflower soup is completely cooled down before freezing it.
Freeze it in smaller containers or a freezer bag, it will make the defrosting process faster. Take it out in the morning and let it defrost naturally in the fridge. Heat the soup thoroughly in a saucepan and enjoy a super quick and delicious dinner.
What to serve with the creamy cauliflower soup
This healthy soup can be enjoyed in many different ways. Here are a couple of ideas:
- Fresh gluten-free bread
- Brazilian cheese bread - Pao De Queijo
- Crispy homemade croutons
- Roasted chickpeas
- Red pepper flakes if you like it spicy
- Fresh parsley
I love serving this creamy soup with some cauliflower chips. They taste great and make the soup look like it came straight from a 5-star restaurant 😉. Here is how you can make them:
- Cut cauliflower florets into thin slices.
- Fry them in a frying pan on medium heat in a small amount of olive oil until the cauliflower had a nice brown color on both sides.
- Sprinkle grated parmesan and fry them for another minute.
Frequently asked questions
You added too much water. Please follow the recipe for the best results.
You absolutely can, it will add even more nutritional value to the soup. However, I would opt for homemade stock, as the store-bought varieties are often very high in sodium and will change the taste of the soup.
You used the green part of the leek 🙂 This is absolutely fine. The green part is just as flavorsome and nutritious as the white part. For the white soup, use white parts only.
Absolutely. Please defrost it naturally before adding it to the pan.
Yes, you can. Make sure you saute the onions on low heat until they are very soft. The taste of the soup will change a little, but it will be delicious nevertheless.
The grainy soup texture is most likely to not blending the soup long enough.
- Add chicken broth instead of water.
- For classic cream of cauliflower soup, add a tablespoon of heavy cream. Choose organic if possible.
- Make it vegan by switching butter for extra virgin olive oil.
- Cauliflower can be expensive when not in season, feel free to use the frozen variety instead. You will need about 500g of frozen cauliflower (approximately 1 pound) for this recipe. Defrost it before cooking.
And if you like roasted cauliflower you might like this roasted cauliflower soup.
Looking for more delicious recipes with cauliflower?
Creamy cauliflower soup no cream recipe
Creamy cauliflower soup without cream
- Medium-size saucepan, blender.
- 1 leek sliced
- 2 large potatoes peeled and sliced
- ½ head of cauliflower chopped into small bits
- 1 tablespoon butter or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 twig rosemary
- 1 twig thyme
- salt and pepper to season
- Heat the butter/olive oil in the saucepan on a medium-high heat. Do not overheat it. Add leek and sauté for 2-3 minutes and add thyme and rosemary twigs. Sauté for another 3-4 minutes until the leek becomes soft.
- Add potatoes and cauliflower into the pot. Mix.
- Add enough water to cover your vegetables. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat to low so the water just bubbles. Cook for 10 minutes or until the potatoes and cauliflower are very soft. Make sure not to boil it.
- Carefully transfer the soup into the blender, and blend on high until the soup is nice and creamy. It will take 20 seconds in a Thermomix on speed 8.
- Transfer back to the saucepan. Your soup is ready to serve. Enjoy!
- If you don't have leek on hand, one regular onion will work too. Just make sure you sauté the onions until they are REALLY soft to get all the sweetness.
- I made cauliflower-parmesan "chips" to serve with the soup. To make them, I cut cauliflower into thin slices and fried them in a frying pan in a small amount of olive oil until the cauliflower had a nice brown colour on both sides. I sprinkled grated parmesan and fried for another minute. Done!
- This soup also goes well with gluten-free croutons or crispy chickpeas.
This is the best cauliflower soup recipe, don't forget to pin it