Let me show you how to make a perfect family dinner in one tray. This one-pan chicken recipe is full of Mediterranean flavours, is packed with all the good-for-you nutrients, and is simply delicious. Don’t forget to pin it.
We are going to cook Greek today, my friends! You might have heard before that the Mediterranean diet is well known for its health benefits. It is well researched that people in countries around the Mediterranean sea have lower cases of cardiovascular diseases, a longer lifespan, and stay active and healthy as they age.
Ingredients for the Greek-Style chicken recipe:
This delicious one-pan dinner has all the staple ingredients of a classic Mediterranean dish:
- Chicken thighs, skin-on, bone out. I always use free-range or organic if possible.
- Olive oil. If you still use vegetable oil in your cooking, now is a good time to make a switch. People who have predomentally olive oil in their diet have fewer instances of heart diseases.
- Italian seasoning. If you don’t have the ready to go mix, you can make your own mix. You can use oregano, thyme, basil, rosemary, majoran, sage, and parsley.
- Lemon juice, fresh is always the best. Please don’t use the juice out of plastic bottle. It doesn’t have any nutrients and does not have real flavour.
- Garlic, the more the better! Garlic has so many health benefits. For example, it is well known to prevent and reduce the severity of common illnesses like the flu and common cold. Bye bye viruses!
- Dijon musterd Mustered adds creaminess to the marinade and helps the marinade to “stick” to the chicken which will makes it extra delicious.
- Red capsicum (bell pepper) You can use green, yellow or orange too. I just like the red color 🙂
- Red onion Same goes for onions, use any onions you have. I found that the red onions have a milder flavour than the brown ones. You can also use shallots or even leek if you have some.
- Potatoes I used boiled poatoes in this recipe for two reasons. Firstly, cooked and cooled poatoes have more resistant starch which is great for our microbiome and secondly it reduces the cooking time significantly, which will make dinner preparation much faster. Less of the “MUM, I’m so hungry!!”
- Olives Any olives you like.
- Cherry tomatoes
- Feta Any feta cheese will work, I usually use Greek or Danish.
- Salt and pepper
Greek Chicken Marinade with Garlic and Lemon
The most important part of this Mediterranean recipe is clearly the marinade. The mix of garlic, lemon juice, herbs, mustard, and olive oil creates all the magic. You will have the best result if you let the chicken marinate overnight or for at least 3 hours. It is a great make-ahead kind of meal and will make dinner prep a breeze. You can marinate the chicken and freeze it in the ziplock bag for use later in the week. Simply defrost it overnight in the fridge, the chicken will marinate while it is defrosting.
How to store Greek-style chicken
This dish makes a perfect leftover lunch. You can refrigerate it in an air-tight container for up to 3 days. Enjoy it cold with some lettuce on a warm day or warm it up in a frying pan with a splash of water for a little more comfort if it is cold and rainy.
How to make the Greek-Style chicken with vegetables
- Start with marinating the chicken. Put olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, seasoning, salt and pepper in a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Add the marinade into the ziplock bag along with the chicken thighs and massage the chicken until everything is well covered with the marinade. Refrigerate overnight or for at least 3 hours.
- Pre-cook the potatoes. You can do it at the same time while you are marinating the chicken.
- Preheat the oven to 220’C (425’F)
- Heat the olive oil in a large, ovenproof frying or roasting pan. Once the pan is hot add the chicken thighs, skin down, and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side until the skin has a nice golden colour. Reserve the remaining marinade. It will be only 1-2 tsp of marinade left, but it will add a lot of flavour.
- Add onions, zucchini, capsicum, potatoes and olives into the pan along with the remaining marinade. Mix everything gently, arrange it again so it looks nice and bake for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes take the pan out and using a tablespoon carefully spoon the sauce and juices over the vegetables and the chicken. Add cherry tomatoes and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Once cooked, sprinkle with feta cheese and serve with some lemon wedges and basil leaves (optional)
- The chicken dinner is ready to be served!
Tips and tricks to make one pan chicken recipe easy
- I usually add the chicken lemon-garlic marinade straight into the bag I got from the butcher. Saves me extra washing up and is better for the environment. Less waste.
- Pre-cook potatoes the day before, drain, cool and refrigarate ready to go.
- Once you served the chicken and vegetables, you will have a little sauce leftover in the pan. You can reserve it and use it as a sauce for a pasta dish the next day. Cook noodles, add the remaining sauce, mix well and enjoy! My kids love it.
- If you are in a real hurry or forgot to marinate the chicken overnight, do not fear! While longer is better, 30 minutes of marinating will do the job.
- I used chicken thighs with no bone in this recipe because it reduces cooking time. You can use thighs bone-in or drumsticks for this recipe, but you will add 20 minutes of cooking time.
- Don’t forget to use an ovenproof pan!! I love the dutch oven for this kind of cooking.
More family friendly dinner recipes like this Greek-Style Chicken
- Easy Baked Salmon Recipe with Creamy Sauce
- Easy and Delicious Poke Bowl Recipe
- Nachos recipe with chicken and black