If you have potatoes, carrots, and a crock pot, you can whip up a delicious, hassle-free dinner that will leave your whole family asking for seconds. Sounds good? Then let's make this easy loaded crock pot potato soup.
The post has extra tips to make sure the recipe comes out amazing on your first try. If you're in a rush, use the link above to jump to the recipe card at the end! 👩🍳🔝
I might be a bit late to hop on the crockpot trend, but I've only recently discovered its wonders. So please bear with me. 😃 I wish I had bought mine ages ago. It saves so much time and makes preparing dinner a breeze. I even started meal prepping again; it is so much fun.
So from today, you will get five of my favorite slow cooker recipes that are on repeat at our dinner table. And I start with the super easy recipe...
5-Ingredient crock pot potato soup
We like this creamy potato soup so much that I thought it was a good place to start with my slow cooker recipes series. This creamy soup is easy to make, delicious, kid- and budget-friendly. It is a great recipe for busy weeknights because it is comforting and delicious. Ultimate comfort food.
This slow cooker potato soup recipe requires five simple ingredients, all of which are easily available from your local grocery store.
- Potatoes, diced. Some recipes call for frozen hash browns, but I went with row-washed white potatoes. However, I think any variety will work in this recipe. You can use Yukon gold potatoes, russet potatoes, or any other white potatoes you have on hand.
- Onion, diced. Just a brown onion.
- Carrots, diced.
- Chicken stock or chicken broth. Or substitute vegetable broth for the vegetarian option.
- Minced garlic.
- Unsalted butter.
See the full list of ingredients in the recipe card below 👇
How to make easy slow cooker potato soup
Here comes the best part about cooking in a crockpot:
- Put all the ingredients in the slow cooker, close the lid, and cook for 3-4 hours on high or 4-6 hours on low.
- Once the time is done, you can serve the soup as it is or puree it with an immersion blender to make a creamy soup.
- Top the soup with your favorite toppings and enjoy.
How to serve:
- Serve as it is. It is simple but delicious and makes a great dinner.
- Top it with fried chorizo meat, diced cherry tomatoes, cilantro leaves, and a dollop of sour cream.
- Try some grated cheese, such as cheddar, and bacon bits for a hearty soup option.
How to store
If you have any leftovers, make sure to cool the soup down completely before transferring it to an airtight container and freezing it for 3 to 4 days. Simply reheat the soup on the stove, adding a little bit of water or stock if the soup becomes too thick.
Easy crockpot potato soup recipe meal prep
This simple recipe makes a great meal prep. Simply prepare the ingredients and place them into a freezer bag, along with the chicken stock, removing as much air as possible, and freeze for up to 3 months or until ready to cook. Defrost the ingredients overnight in the fridge and cook as described above.
Note: Potatoes might get darker while defrosting. It is normal and nothing to worry about.
What crockpot do I use?
I was surprised at how affordable slow cookers are. You don't really need an original crockpot. It's great if you have one, but I got mine for just over $60 on Amazon and couldn't be happier. Here is my affiliate link if you are looking for a good crockpot.
Yes, this easy soup recipe is entirely gluten-free and is safe for you if you are following a gluten-free diet.
No, for the best results, only cook the ingredients once they are thawed.
More easy recipes for you to try:
It is soup season in the northern hemisphere, and I have some delicious, easy-to-make soup recipes for you to try on a cold night:
Have you tried this recipe? If so, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could leave a star rating and share your thoughts in a comment. Your feedback means a lot to me, and it can also help others who are interested in trying it out. Thank you! 🌟👩🍳
Easy crock pot potato soup
- 1 Crockpot
Crockpot potato soup
- 1 kg white potatoes, diced approximately 32 oz
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 50 gram unsalted butter, diced approximately ¼ of cup
- salt and black pepper to season
Optional Toppings ingredients
- sour cream, to serve
- 2-3 chorizo sausages, peeled and fried peeled and fried
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado, sliced
In a crock pot
- Place all the prepared soup ingredients in a crockpot and cook on low for 4-6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Check occasionally to ensure you don't overcook the potatoes.
Make it prep freezer meal
- Place all prepared soup ingredients, including the chicken stock, in a large freezer bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible, seal, and freeze for up to 3 months. To cook, defrost before placing in the crockpot and follow the instructions above.