What can be better than homemade bread? Delicious homemade GLUTEN-FREE bread of course! Soft, moist, filling, and nourishing! And yeast-free too!
Do you miss bread? Sometimes it can be hard to find good quality gluten-free bread that also tastes good. More often than not, gluten-free bread contains additives, thickeners, and preservatives. This bread is a great alternative to the store-bought variety!
This recipe is made from only natural healthy ingredients and is:
- Gluten-free (no wheat flour)
- Can easily be made vegan
- Paleo and keto-friendly, it doesn't contain white rice flour or brown rice flour
- Free from xanthan gum
I love this bread because it is delicious and packed with nutrients. Its main ingredient is almond flour. You might know that almonds are a fantastic source of antioxidants. Antioxidants are known to help to protect against oxidative stress which causes inflammation in the body. So almonds are perfect for lowering inflammation and as a result, ease the pain in our joints.
The other amazing ingredient is chia seeds which are also an excellent source of anti-inflammatory ALA (α-linolenic acid). Its high fibre content (about 10 grams per serving) will fill you up and make you feel satisfied for longer.
- Almond flour
- Tapioca flour (or arrowroot flour)
- Eggs. Use free-range or organic eggs if possible
- Chia Seeds
- Flax seed meal
- Tsp Baking soda
- Milk of your choice. A mix of almond and coconut works really well.
- Maple Syrup
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- Seeds and nuts of your choice to sprinkle on top, such as pepitas or sunflower seeds.
All measurements are in the recipe card
This delicious bread is extremely easy to make, no bread machine is required.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (360°F)
- Prepare a bread loaf tin by lining it with parchment paper. Alternatively, you can use nonstick tin or silicon tin, which is my favourite.
- Place all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix to combine.
- Place all wet ingredients in another mixing bowl and combine. You can use a hand mixer to speed up the process.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix all together until well combined. No rise time is required.
- Transfer the bread dough to the prepared tin.
- Sprinkle seeds and nuts on top, if using.
- Bake for 40 minutes at 180°C (360°F).
- Let the bread cool down for 10 minutes before transferring it onto a cooling rack. Enjoy at room temperature fresh or toasted.
- Milk. You can use any type of milk - dairy, almond, or coconut milk.
- Maple syrup. You can substitute maple syrup with honey.
- Extra virgin olive oil can be swapped for coconut oil.
- Don't have flax seed meal? Use psyllium husk instead.
Use chia eggs and plant milk to make it vegan. See how to make a chia egg in Top Tips below.
Mix some seeds and nuts into the dough before baking for delicious nut bread.
This bread keeps really well in the fridge in an airtight container. It stays fresh for up to 4 days. I like to have a slice toasted with smashed avo. Sooo good!!!
To freeze, cut it into slices and freeze it in the Ziploc bag or airtight container. You can leave it in the freezer for up to 3 months, but I bet it won't stay there for so long. Defrost on a plate for a couple of minutes and toast.
How to make chia egg.
To make a chia egg, combine 1 tablespoon of chia seeds with 2 ½ tablespoon of water. One chia egg equals 1 chicken egg. If you would like to know more about chia eggs. Minimalist bakes has a great chia egg recipe post.
Almond meal/flour can be expensive, especially when buying at the grocery store. I buy mine in bulk at the wholefoods store and refrigerate it.
Q and As
No, coconut flour won't work in this recipe.
No, this recipe can only be made by using almond flour. No other gf flours will work.
In general, it should be done in 40 minutes. However, you can use a tooth pick to check if the bread is cooked through. Insert the pick into the middle of the loaf, if it comes out dry, the bread is ready.
Almond flour should be kept in a fridge or in a very cool dry pantry. In the fridge, it will last for up to 6 months.
Watch how to make this amazing bread
Gluten-Free Bread Recipe
Delicious Gluten Free & Yeast Free Bread Recipe
- 2 Cups almond flour
- ½ Cups tapioca flour or arrowroot flour
- 3 Eggs organic or free-range if possible
- 2 Tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 Tablespoon fax seed meal or psyllium husk
- 1 Teaspoon baking soda
- ⅓ Cup milk of your choice
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- ¼ Cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Teaspoon organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 Handful of Seeds or nuts of your choice to sprinkle on top
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (360'F) and line the loaf tin with parchment paper if not using nonstick tin. I love my silicon tin because it is so easy to use.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a big bowl
- Mix all wet ingredients in another bowl
- Mix wet and dry ingredients together until well combined
- Pour the bread dough in the tin.
- Sprinkle seeds and nuts on top if using.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Use a toothpick to check if the bread is baked through. Insert the toothpick into the middle of the loaf, if it comes out dry, bread is ready.
- Cool bread a little before taking it out of the tin and place it on the cooling rack to cool completely.
I adapted this recipe from Food Matters. Happy baking!
Check out my other gluten-free bread recipes
Did you make this recipe?
Leave me a star rating and a comment below. This will make me very happy and help other readers. Thank you!