Avocado and mango salsa recipe
I have made this recipe so many times, I can't even count. My whole family likes it, and it is not rocket science to see why. Finely diced avocado and mango, coated with freshly squeezed lime juice, taste more like a fruit salad. It's a refreshing and simple combination that never fails to impress.
Reasons to love this recipe
- Family-friendly. Yes, both big and small love this fruity salsa.
- Budget-friendly. With only 4 simple ingredients, this salsa, when made with mango and avocado in season, will cost less than $5.
- Easy-to-make. You won't need more than 5 minutes of your time to make this delicious recipe, and with my step-by-step guide, it will be a breeze.
- Versatile. You can enjoy this Mexican salsa in so many different ways. More on this later.
Ingredients for avocado mango salsa
- Mango. Look for a nice ripe mango that is still a little firm, It will make it easier to dice the mango and make a better presentation.
- Avocado. The same goes for avocado, nice ripe avocado, slightly firm.
- A small bunch of cilantro or fresh mint leaves.
Find the full list of ingredients in the recipe card below 👇
How to make it
- Prepare Mango and Avocado:
- Peel, pit, and dice the mango into small, even pieces.
- Peel, pit, and dice the avocado into similar-sized pieces as the mango.
- Chop Cilantro or Mint:
- Finely chop a small bunch of cilantro or fresh mint leaves.
- Combine Ingredients:
- In a mixing bowl, gently combine the diced mango and avocado, add lime juice, and chopped cilantro or mint. Toss the ingredients together until well mixed.
That's it, your delicious mango salsa is ready to be served.
How to serve mango salsa
Mango salsa is a versatile and delicious condiment that pairs well with a variety of dishes, adding a burst of tropical flavor. Here's how you can serve mango salsa:
- Grilled Chicken: Spoon mango salsa generously over grilled thighs or chicken breasts. The sweetness of mangoes creates a delicious contrast to the smoky flavor of grilled chicken.
- Fish Tacos: Fill your soft taco shells with grilled or fried fish. Top the fish with mango salsa, adding a refreshing and zesty element to the tacos. The combination of crispy fish and fruity salsa creates a delightful taco experience.
- Salmon: Serve mango salsa on the side with salmon. The bright and tangy salsa complements the richness of the salmon, providing a well-balanced and delicious meal.
- Tortilla Chips or Nachos: Use mango and avocado salsa as a refreshing and tropical dip for tortilla chips or as a topping for loaded nachos. Its sweet and creamy texture balances the saltiness of the chips.
- Grilled Shrimp or Seafood: Spoon mango and avocado salsa over grilled shrimp or other seafood. The combination of the salsa's sweetness and the seafood's natural flavors creates a mouthwatering dish.
- Spread mango and avocado salsa inside quesadillas before folding them over and grilling. The salsa adds a burst of flavor and moisture to the cheesy filling.
How would you serve this tropical mango and avocado salsa? Let me know in the comments below👇
- Enhance your salsa with finely chopped red onion, providing a sharp contrast to the mango's sweetness and avocado's creaminess.
- Infuse a tropical vibe by adding diced pineapple and a handful of fresh cilantro, creating a burst of exotic flavors.
- Introduce heat with finely chopped jalapeño peppers or chili flakes, balancing the sweetness with a delightful spicy contrast.
How to store
Refrigerate: To store mango and avocado salsa, transfer it to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 1-2 days. Press plastic wrap directly onto the surface to minimize air exposure.
Freezing: Due to the high water content in both mangoes and avocados, freezing can change the texture of the salsa, making it mushy when thawed. It's best not to freeze mango and avocado salsa.
Mango and avocado salsa recipe
- 1 ripe but still a bit firm mango peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 ripe but still firm avocado peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 small bunch of cilantro or mint leaves coriander in Australia
- Dice Mango and Avocado: Peel and dice the mango and avocado, placing them in a mixing bowl.
- Add Cilantro: Sprinkle the chopped cilantro over the diced mango and avocado.
- Squeeze Lime Juice: Drizzle the juice of one lime over the mixture.
- Mix Well: Gently toss all ingredients in the bowl until well combined.
- Enjoy the fresh mango and avocado salsa with your favorite dishes.
- Ensure the mango and avocado are perfectly ripe for optimal flavor and texture. A slightly firm avocado and mango are ideal for easy dicing and better presentation.
- Using freshly chopped cilantro and squeezing the lime juice just before serving enhances the salsa's vibrant flavors.
- When combining the diced mango, avocado, cilantro, and lime juice, mix gently to avoid mashing the ingredients.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container and refrigerate for 1-2 days. It is not suitable for freezing.
- Add finely chopped red onions for a hint of sharpness and jalapeños for a spicy kick.