These grilled zucchini slices are smoky and tender and make a great side dish for any meal. Perfect summer zucchini recipe for a BBQ party!
Grilled zucchini recipe
Hey, it is spring! And what is the best thing to do on a spring or summer day? BBQ of course! I love to cook on the BBQ, especially because I actually don’t have to cook. My husband does. I just give him all the ingredients and he does the best job cooking it all to perfection. No mess in the kitchen, no washing up for me! My favorite way of cooking.
However, just as I was about to take photos of my grilled zucchini for this post it started pouring down with rain so I needed a plan B. I took out my grill plate and grilled those beautiful zucchini slices myself on the stove. And it worked per-fect-ly!! Just look at those stripes! Please don’t tell my husband though 😉
Six reasons to love the grilled zucchini recipe
Here is why you should try this simple recipe:
- Quick and easy: With just 15 minutes of cooking time, this recipe is perfect for busy weeknights.
- Healthy and low carb: Grilled zucchini is a healthy side dish that is packed with nutrients.
- Versatile: This recipe can be served as a side dish or as a main course with added protein.
- Delicious leftovers: The leftovers of this recipe taste even better the next day and can be used for meal prep.
- Perfect for summer: With its happy, summery flavors and beautiful grill marks, this recipe is perfect for outdoor grilling and summer cookouts.
- Gluten-free: This recipe is gluten-free, making it a great option for those with gluten sensitivities or Celiac disease.
Ingredients for grilled zucchini recipe
- Zucchini. Any type or size of zucchini will work just fine.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- Garlic. Fresh garlic is the best, but you can try to use garlic powder if you prefer.
- Fresh coriander (cilantro). Yes, we call cilantro coriander here in Australia 😊.
- Sea salt and black pepper to season.
How to make grilled zucchini
I have lost track of how many times we have made this easy side dish for ourselves on a weeknight or for our guests coming for a BBQ on a weekend. It has never disappointed. 😉. It is EASY!!!
All you have to do is:
- Slice your zucchini sideways and sprinkle them with salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes if desired. Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil over the slices and gently toss them together to ensure they are evenly coated.
- Cook the zucchini for approximately 3 minutes on each side over medium-high heat or until grill marks have formed. Avoid overcooking to prevent the zucchini from becoming mushy. For smaller zucchini, grill them cut side down and only cook on one side.
Once the zucchinis are cooked, transfer them to a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil and minced garlic.
- Add the garlic mixture to the grilled zucchini slices and gently toss them together. Be careful not to break the delicate zucchini slices while tossing.
You are done! Time to set the table. Such an easy summer side dish.
The full recipe is in the recipe card below.
How to serve grilled zucchini
Other ways to use grilled zucchini slices:
- Make a zucchini salad. Mix the zucchini slices with arugula, cherry tomatoes, crumbled feta cheese, and a lemon dressing.
- Taco Tuesday. Grilled zucchini tacos are a great idea for Taco Tuesday. Serve the grilled zucchini in warm tortillas with avocado, salsa, and cilantro.
- Bruschetta. Top slices of baguette with grilled zucchini, diced tomatoes, chopped basil, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
- Mix with pasta. Add and toss the slices with pesto and serve as a side dish or topping for pasta.
More easy side dishes you might like to try:
How to store grilled zucchini
The flavors of these grilled zucchini slices only improve with time, making them a great choice for meal prep or as leftovers. You can easily prepare them in advance by grilling the slices and storing them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. These slices will remain fresh and delicious for up to four days, making them a convenient option for busy weekdays or as a quick and easy snack.
Can I freeze grilled zucchini?
Although I’ve never attempted to freeze grilled zucchini, I have a feeling that it might become mushy and lose its texture after thawing. To be completely honest, we’ve never had any leftovers from this dish as it’s just too delicious to resist eating immediately. However, if you do decide to try freezing grilled zucchini, I would be curious to hear about your results..
Variations for grilled zucchini
- I know there are some people out there, who do not like cilantro (coriander). If you are one of them, feel free to swap cilantro for fresh chopped parsley.
- To add even more amazing flavour to this already perfect side dish, sprinkle some freshly grated Parmesan cheese (Parmigiano–Reggiano) and make zucchini parmesan.
- You can also grill eggplant, capsicum (bell pepper) or summer squash using this easy recipe. They all taste great.
- You can also try Grilled and Smoked Zucchini from Simply Meat Smoking. They are delicious.
Make sure you place the zucchini slices on a hot grill. Zucchinis have high water content and if the BBQ hasn’t heated up properly you end up with mushy zucchinis.
Quick grilled zucchini recipe and video
- Prepare your BBQ or heat a grill pan on the stove on high.
- Grill the zucchini slice for 1-2 minutes on each side, until you can see the brown lines. Do not cook for much longer, otherwise, you will overcook them. Gently put the grilled slices in a large mixing bowl.
- Once finished cooking, mix the remaining 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil with minced garlic and add the mixture to the grilled zucchinis. Toss gently to combine.
- Place the grilled zucchini slices on a plate and garnish them with fresh coriander leaves. You are done!
This post contains affiliate links.