These delicious grilled zucchini slices are smoky and tender and will make a great side dish for any meal. Perfect summer zucchini recipe for a BBQ party too!
Yes, spring is nearly here in Melbourne. And what is the best thing to do on a spring or summer day? BBQ of course! I love to cook on the BBQ, especially because I actually don't have to cook. My husband does. I just give him all the ingredients and he does the best job cooking it all to perfection. No mess in the kitchen, no washing up for me! My favorite way of cooking.
However, just as I was about to take photos of my grilled zucchini for this post it started pouring down with rain so I needed a plan B. I took out my grill plate and grilled those beautiful zucchini slices myself on the stove. And it worked per-fect-ly!! Just look at those stripes! Please don't tell my husband though 😉
Here is what you will love about this simple recipe:
- Gluten-free recipe, as are all the other recipes on this site.
- Easy and quick to make.
- Great leftovers, they taste amazing the next day.
- Low carb and healthy side dish. If you would like to know more about the health benefits of zucchini, check out my Soy Glazed Eggplant and Zucchini recipe.
- Full of great, happy, summer flavours.
- It is beautiful, look at these nice grill marks.
- Zucchini. Any type or size of zucchini will work just fine.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- Garlic. Fresh garlic is the best, but you can try to use garlic powder if you prefer.
- Fresh coriander (cilantro). Yes, we call cilantro coriander here in Australia 😊.
- Sea salt and black pepper to season.
How to make it
I have lost track of how many times we have made this easy side dish for ourselves on a weeknight or for our guests coming for a BBQ on a weekend. It has never disappointed. And there is no chance you can screw it up 😉. It is EASY!!!
All you have to do is to
1. Slice your zucchini sideways. Sprinkle them with some salt and black pepper. Add some red pepper flakes if you like them spicy. Sprinkle some extra virgin olive oil and gently combine every together, so that all zucchini slices are evenly coated.
Time to set the fire. If you can, barbecue the zucchini slices on a barbie. It adds so much flavour to the dish. For me, the smoky flavour tastes like summer. But as I mentioned above, you will get great results if using a grill pan or griddle too.
2. Cook the zucchini for approximately 3 minutes on each side, over medium-high heat, or until the brown lines from grill grates have formed. Do not overcook them, we don't want mushy zucchini!! If using smaller zucchini, like mine, grill them cut side down and only cook on one side.
Once zucchinis are cooked, transfer them into a large bowl. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, combine olive oil and minced garlic.
4. Add the garlic mix to the grilled zucchini slices and toss them gently to combine. Be very careful not to break them, zucchinis are quite delicate.
You are done! Time to set the table. Such an easy summer side dish.
The complete recipe is in the recipe card below.
How to serve
But you can also serve it over freshly cooked pasta, served with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese, it tastes so good, I honestly should write an extra recipe for that. It makes a great main course.
More gluten-free side dishes you might like to try:
How to store
These quickly grilled zucchini slices taste amazing the next day. You can even prepare them a day before, store them in an airtight container and refrigerate them. Ready to be served the next day. These grilled zucchini slices will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 4 days.
How to freeze
I have never tried to freeze grilled zucchini. I believe they will turn mushy and soggy. And to be totally honest we never had any leftovers to freeze, they are simply too good not to eat straight away. If you try to freeze them, I would love to hear how did it work out for you.
- I know there are some people out there, who do not like cilantro (coriander). If you are one of them, feel free to swap cilantro for fresh chopped parsley.
- To add even more amazing flavour to this already perfect side dish, sprinkle some freshly grated Parmesan cheese (Parmigiano-Reggiano) and make Parmesan Zucchini.
- You can also grill eggplant, capsicum (bell pepper) or summer squash using this easy recipe. They all taste great.
Make sure you place the zucchini slices on a hot grill. Zucchinis have high water content and if the BBQ hasn't heated up properly you end up with mushy zucchinis.
Watch how to make itPrint
Super quick grilled zucchini slices
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 15
- Yield: 4 serves as a side dish 1x
- Category: side dish
- Method: Stovetop or bbq
- Cuisine: Mediteranian
- Diet: Gluten Free
3 medium-size zucchini, sliced lengthways
Salt, black pepper and chilli powder to season
2-3 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
1 clove of garlic, minced
Fresh coriander leaves to garnish
- Prepare your BBQ or heat a grill pan on the stove on high.
- Season the zucchini slices with salt, black pepper, and chilli powder and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. Toss everything gently to combine.
- Grill the zucchini slice for 1-2 minutes on each side, until you can see the brown lines. Do not cook for much longer, otherwise, you will overcook them. Gently put the grilled slices in a large mixing bowl.
- Once finished cooking, mix the remaining 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil with minced garlic and add the mixture to the grilled zucchinis. Toss gently to combine.
- Place the grilled zucchini slices on a plate and garnish them with fresh coriander leaves. You are done!
These grilled zucchini slices make great leftovers. They will be delicious the next day. You can enjoy them cold straight out of the fridge or warm them up in a pan if you prefer.
Keywords: grilled zucchini, side dish, zucchini, easy side dish
This post contains affiliate links.