Sweet watermelon paired with salty feta cheese tastes just like summer. Whipped up in 10 minutes, this simple yet delicious watermelon salad with feta and mint makes a perfect summer side dish for a quick family dinner or the BBQ for the upcoming hot summer days!
The post has extra tips to make sure the recipe comes out amazing on your first try. If you're in a rush, use the link above to jump to the recipe card at the end! 👩🍳🔝
I love summer! And I love summer dishes because they don't require long cooking times and are usually very quickly put together. Hands down this Summer Watermelon Salad is our family's favourite summer dish. And because we have summer here in Oz right now we have been enjoying this delicious salad two or three times a week.
Watermelon salad with feta and mint
Reasons to make it
This watermelon salad is very easy to make and can be served with pretty much anything. Our favorites are grilled halloumi or chicken skewers. But my kids will eat it just with fresh crunchy bread and who will blame them, it tastes soooo good. Further more this salad is:
- Delicious. As strange as it might sound, the flavor combination of the sweetness from the watermelon and the saltiness from feta cheese is a marriage made in heaven. Fresh mint leaves elevate the summer flavors even more and the sourness of lime juice brings it all together.
- Easy to make: This quick salad is truly an easy summer side dish. With its straightforward steps and minimal ingredients, it’s effortlessly easy to make. The simple dressing, composed of freshly squeezed juice, olive oil, and mint leaves, adds a burst of flavor to the sweet watermelon. It’s a fun way to jazz up your summer gatherings, offering a refreshing and colorful addition to your table
- Crowd-pleaser: This delicious watermelon salad is the perfect addition to your summer BBQ. Loved equally by adults and kids alike, its refreshing flavors and vibrant colors make it an instant hit at any gathering.
For this refreshing watermelon salad, you'll only need a handful of straightforward ingredients:
- Ripe Watermelon: Seek out a vibrant, red, and juicy watermelon for the best flavor.
- Feta Cheese: Crumbled feta adds a delightful salty contrast to the sweetness of the watermelon.
- Fresh Mint Leaves: Fragrant mint leaves bring a burst of freshness to the salad.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: A drizzle of high-quality olive oil enhances the overall taste, tying the ingredients together seamlessly.
- Fresh Lime Juice: A splash of freshly squeezed lime juice enhances the flavors, adding a zesty kick.
Scroll down for the flllist of ingredients👇
Optional add ons
- Red onions: Many people enjoy red onions in a watermelon salad, and I can see why. However, if you are making the salad for your family and want your kids to enjoy it too, it might be better to skip the onions to keep the salad kid-friendly.
- Balsamic Vinegar: Introduce a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar to the dressing if you desire a hint of acidity in your salad. It enriches the flavor, adding depth to the overall taste.
- Cheese Varieties: Feel free to explore different salty cheeses, such as goat cheese, instead of solely relying on feta.
How to make watermelon salad
1. Cut the Watermelon:
- Wash the watermelon thoroughly under running water and dry it with a kitchen towel.
- Cut your watermelon into bite-sized cubes.
2. Prepare the Dressing:
- In a bowl, combine the freshly squeezed lime juice with a splash of olive oil.
- Add in some chopped mint leaves and a handful of crumbled feta cheese.
3. Toss the Salad:
- Add the bite-sized watermelon cubes to the dressing mixture.
- Gently toss the ingredients together until the watermelon is coated evenly.
4. Transfer to a Salad Bowl:
- Transfer the dressed watermelon to a salad bowl.
- Generously sprinkle more feta cheese over the top.
- Finish off the salad with a handful of fresh mint leaves for a burst of color and flavor.
6. Enjoy Your Refreshing Watermelon Salad!
- Serve immediately and enjoy the delightful combination of sweet watermelon, creamy feta, and refreshing mint. Perfect for a light and refreshing summer treat!
How to store
If you have any leftover watermelon salad store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator, and consume them within 1-2 days.
This salad is not suitable for freezing.
What to serve with
This simple watermelon salad is a wonderful addition to any summer potluck or meal. It complements main dishes perfectly, adding a refreshing touch to the dinner table. Pair it with grilled meats or seafood for a delightful summer meal. Her are a couople of recipe you might like to try:
Have you tried this recipe? If so, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could leave a star rating and share your thoughts in a comment. Your feedback means a lot to me, and it can also help others who are interested in trying it out. Thank you! 🌟👩🍳
Watermelon Salad With Feta And Mint
- 1 kg of ripe watermelon (approximately ¼ of a medium-sized watermelon
- 100 g of Greek or Danish feta cheese use your favourite variety crumbled
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- A handful of fresh mint leaves cut or torn into small pieces.
- Cut the watermelon into bite-sized cubes.
- In a large bowl combine extra virgin olive oil, ¼ of crumbled feta and ½ of the mint leaves.
- Add watermelon and toss everything together.
- Transfer the watermelon into a serving bowl.
- Sprinkle the rest of the feta on top and garnish with remaining mint leaves.
- Your Ultimate Summer Watermelon Salad with Feta and Mint is ready to be served. Enjoy!