Cucumber avocado salad! Crunchy cucumber bites, creamy avocado, and tangy lime cilantro dressing to bring it all together. Add a few chili flakes to fire things up. The best part? You need five minutes to make it!
The post has extra tips to make sure the recipe comes out amazing on your first try. If you're in a rush, use the link above to jump to the recipe card at the end! 👩🍳🔝
Cucumber Avocado Salad
What is the easiest dinner you can make that satisfies the needs and wants of your entire family? Pasta? Pizza? When I feel like we have had enough carbs for the week I like making salads and cooking up some miso chicken thighs or salmon teriyaki.
I am lucky that my boys eat salads without a fuss. Kids usually like vegetables like cucumbers, tomatoes, and avocados and I capitalize on this as often as I can.
Why should you try cucumber and avocado salad recipe
This simple and delicious cucumber avocado salad is packed with nutrients, vitamins, and healthy fats. The dressing is a delicious mix of lime juice, cilantro, cumin, and olive oil.
Cucumbers add crunch and avocado has amazing creaminess. This is a perfect quick solution for a quick family dinner or a last-minute salad for a BBQ on Saturday afternoon.
Cucumber avocado salad ingredients
Cucumbers. I used English cucumbers, but you can use any cucumbers that are in season, like Lebanese or telegraph cucumbers.
- I know many people peel cucumbers; however, I would recommend leaving the skin on. Eating the cucumber with the skin provides the maximum amount of nutrients and fiber.
Avocado. Choosing the right avocado is crucial for the salad's flavor and texture. If you prefer a creamier salad, go for a very ripe avocado. On the other hand, if you want the avocado to maintain its shape and have a nuttier taste, opt for one that's slightly firmer.
How to choose avocado for a salad?
When selecting avocados for your salad, look for ones that are slightly firm to the touch but yield a little when gently squeezed.
Avoid avocados that are too soft or have visible dark spots, as they may be overripe. A ripe avocado should have a vibrant green color and a creamy texture when you cut into it.
To check for ripeness, remove the small stem at the top; if it's green underneath, the avocado is ready to use.
Cilantro lime dressing ingredients
I absolutely love this simple homemade dressing. Its fresh and summery taste instantly transports me to sunny days and outdoor gatherings. Here is what you will need to make it:
- Fresh lime juice
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Ground cumin
- Fresh garlic (pressed or grated; avoid substituting with garlic powder)
- Chili flakes (optional; omit for young kids)
- Fresh cilantro (coriander) leaves (you can also use parsley if preferred)
See the full list of ingredients in the recipe card below👇
How to make cilantro lime dressing
- In a glass jar or dressing mixer, combine the lime juice, virgin olive oil, ground cumin, pressed garlic, and chili flakes (if using). Add the fresh cilantro (coriander) leaves and mix thoroughly. Set aside.
How to make cucumber avocado salad
- Wash, dry, and cut the cucumber into bite-size pieces.
- Peel and cut the avocado into bite-size pieces.
- In a salad bowl, gently combine the cucumber, avocado, and cilantro-lime dressing. Be cautious not to mix the ingredients too vigorously, especially if your avocado is very ripe.
- Cucumber avocado salad is ready to be enjoyed. This cucumber and avocado salad recipe is so easy. Five minutes, as promised 😊
Can I make avocado cucumber salad in advance?
Yes, you can prepare this salad in advance, although I wouldn't recommend making it a day ahead. However, it's perfectly fine to refrigerate it for a couple of hours.
To keep the salad fresh, you'll want to take steps to prevent the avocado from turning brown. Just like apples, avocados undergo a chemical reaction known as oxidation when exposed to air, which causes them to brown.
To preserve the avocado's vibrant color and flavor, I recommend tossing the cubed avocado with some lemon or lime juice before adding it to the cucumber. Then, add the dressing to the bowl with the cucumber and avocado, gently mix everything together, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until you're ready to serve.
This ensures that your salad stays fresh and appealing.
What to serve with cucumber avocado salad?
This cucumber salad is so versatile that you can literally serve it with anything, but here are a couple of ideas you might want to try:
- SIMPLE & DELICIOUS CHICKEN MADRAS RECIPE
- THE ONLY CHICKEN MEATBALLS RECIPE YOU WILL EVER NEED
- HEALTHY TUSCAN GARLIC CHICKEN WITH SPINACH AND SUN-DRIED
More simple salad recipes
Have you tried this recipe? If so, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could leave a star rating and share your thoughts in a comment. Your feedback means a lot to me, and it can also help others who are interested in trying it out. Thank you! 🌟👩🍳
Recipe and video
Cucumber avocado salad with cilantro lime dressing
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers or one medium-size continental cucumber, cut into bite-sized pieces cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 large avocado diced
Cilantro Lime Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ lime juiced
- 1 tablespoons of freshly chopped coriander or parsley leaves
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ chili flakes (optional; omit for young kids)
Prepare the Cilantro Lime Dressing:
- In a small jar, combine all the dressing ingredients. Shake the jar well to mix the dressing thoroughly, then set it aside.
Assemble the Cucumber Avocado Salad
- Wash and cut the cucumbers and avocado, placing them in a salad bowl. Pour the prepared dressing over the cucumber and avocado in the salad bowl. Gently mix everything to combine, ensuring that the dressing coats the ingredients evenly.
- You can serve the salad immediately for a fresh, crisp taste.
- If you plan to make it ahead of time, take these steps to preserve the freshness:
- To prevent the avocado from browning, toss the cubed avocado with some lemon or lime juice before adding it to the cucumber.
- Add the dressing to the bowl with the cucumber and avocado, gently mix, and then cover the salad tightly with plastic wrap.