Crunchy cucumber bites, creamy avocado, and tangy lime cilantro dressing to bring it all together. Add a few chili flakes to fire things up.
What is the easiest dinner you can make that satisfies the needs and wants of your entire family? Pasta? Pizza? When I feel like we have had enough carbs for the week I like making salads and cooking up some chicken or fish. I am lucky that my boys eat salads without a fuss. Kids usually like vegetables like cucumbers, tomatoes, and avocados and I capitalise on this as often as I can.
This simple and delicious cucumber salad with avocado is packed with nutrients, vitamins, and healthy fats. The dressing is a delicious mix of lime juice, cilantro, cumin, and olive oil. Cucumbers add crunch and avocado amazing creaminess. This is a perfect quick solution for a quick family dinner or a last-minute salad for a BBQ on Saturday afternoon.
What will you need to make the cucumber avocado salad
- Cucmber. I used English cucumber, but you can use any cucumbers that are in season. I know many people peel the cucumber, however I would recomend leaving the skin on. Eating the cucmber with skin provides the maximum amount of nutrients and fibre.
- Avocado. The ripness of avocado will affect the taste of salad. If you choose a very ripe avo, your salad will be very creamy, which is my favourite. A little firmer avocado will look better as the avocado will still be intact and have more of a nuttier taste.
Ingredients for the cilantro lime dressing
- Lime juice from fresh lime
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Ground cumin
- Fresh garlic, pressed or grated. I don't recomed to substitute with garlic poweder
- Chili flakes, optional, (leave out if making for young kids)
- Fresh cilantro (coriander) leaves or you can use parsley if you prefer
How to make cucumber avocado salad
- Combine the lime juice, virgin olive oil, ground cumin, pressed garlic, chili flakes if using and fresh cilantro (coriander) leaves in a glass jar or dressing mixer. Mix well, set aside.
- Wash, dry and cut the cucumber into bite-size pieces.
- Peel and cut avocado into bite-size pices.
- Combine the cucumber, avocado and cilantrolime dressing in a salad bowl. Do not mix the ingredients too vigarously, especially if your avocado is very ripe.
Can I prepare this cucumber and avocado salad in advance?
Yes, you can. I would not recommend making it a day ahead, but you absolutely can keep it refrigerated for a couple of hours. To keep this salad fresh you need to make sure to prevent the avocado from getting brown. Avocados turn brown just like apples do when exposed to air. It's a chemical reaction, known as oxidation, and not a sign of a spoilt avocado. I would suggest you toss already cubed avocado with some lemon or lime juice, before adding the avocado to the cut cucumber. Add dressing into the bowl with the cucumber and avocado, mix gently, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate.
What should I serve the cucumber salad with?
This salad is so versatile that you can literally serve it with anything, but here are a couple of ideas you might want to try:
More simple salad recipes that are family-friendly, healthy and easy to make
Watch How To Make It
Printable cucumber and avocado salad with cilantro lime dressing recipePrint
Delicious cucumber and avocado salad with cilantro lime dressing
This cucumber avocado salad is extremely easy to make and it is so delicious. Crunchy cucumbers, creamy avocado combined with a tangy lime-cilantro dressing. BBQ party or midweek night dinner, you are all ready to go, in only 5 minutes!
- Prep Time: 5
- Total Time: 5
- Yield: 4 serves as a side dish 1x
- Category: salad
- Method: no cook
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers or one medium-size continental cucumber, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 large avocado, diced
- Juice of ½ lime
- 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp of ground cumin
- 1 clove of garlic, pressed or grated
- ¼ chili flakes (optional, leave out if making for young kids)
- 1 tbsp of freshly chopped coriander or parsley leaves
- ¼ tsp salt
- In a small jar, combine all the dressing ingredients, shake well, and set aside.
- Wash and cut cucumbers and avocado, put in a salad bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the cucumber and avocado and mix gently to combine. Serve immediately or cover tightly with the glad wrap and refrigerate.
If you want to make this salad a little bit ahead of time, make sure you stop the avocado from getting brown. Simply toss already cubed avocado with some lemon or lime juice, before adding the avocado to the cut cucumber. Add dressing into the bowl with the cucumber and avocado, mix gently, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate.
To prevent the cucumber from getting soggy, only add salt immediately before serving.
Keywords: cucumber salad, cucumber and avocado, cucumber avocado salad, cilantro lime dressing