Hey guys, I wish you could come over and smell this chicken shawarma sizzling away. This is exactly the moment where the limitations of blogging and the internet become obvious. The only solution in my opinion is that you make this incredibly delicious Middle Eastern chicken shawarma recipe yourself. Once you have made it and tried it we can have a proper conversation about how amazing it is it 🙂
You know I love simple family recipes that the whole family will enjoy. Guess what? This one is more than that! I actually strongly recommend you PIN IT even if you don’t cook it today. Why? Because this chicken shawarma recipe is also a crowd-pleaser. It is absolutely perfect for a BBQ party. It is very easy to prepare a day before, then you can hand it over to your hubby or anyone else who is keen on cooking the meat on a BBQ. Done!
Chicken Shawarma Marinade
The king of the recipe is of course the marinade. The marinade blend mimics the Middle Eastern flavors perfectly. The mixture of ground spices also makes this dish nutritious. Because as you might know spices are nutrient-dense superfoods with long-term health benefits. Just look at cumin for example. This popular Middle Eastern spice does not just make everything delicious but comes with a good amount of Iron and Manganese.
This marinade is super quick and easy to prepare. Just mix all the ingredients together, coat the chicken with the mixture and let the chicken marinate overnight or up to 24 hours in the fridge. You can also freeze it, which makes this chicken recipe a perfect meal plan too.
Make Chicken Shawarma wraps
As already mentioned above, this recipe is a crowd-pleaser. I love people coming over for a BBQ to our house but I usually end up in the kitchen cooking away while others are having fun chatting and having a drink. So this recipe is a game-changer. Everything is prepared in advance. The chicken is marinated the night before. The yoghurt sauce is mixed in a minute. Serve it with fresh lettuce of your choice (my favorite is cos) and some flatbread or pita bread. It is that easy! If you feel like going an extra step my WATERMELON SALAD WITH FETA AND MINT is a perfect addition.
NOTE! Make sure you have some gluten-free bread for yourself, (if you are in Australia check out the GF Precinct wraps, they are great.) Or simply use the lettuce instead of the wraps. It will make it paleo and low carb friendly too if any of your guests are going down that alley. Either way, it will be amazing and finger-lickingly good! (Ok, I think I just made up a word 🙂 )
Other ways to serve this delicious Middle Eastern chicken shawarma recipe:
I already mentioned that this chicken shawarma recipe is freezer friendly which makes it a perfect weeknight dinner too. You can serve it with cooked rice and some simple green salad.
Make it on the weekend and let your kids open a kebab shop. They can add some grated cheese and some pickled onions or gurkens. That will make a very fun family meal.
My personal favorite is to eat with my Middle Eastern chickpea salad. Watch this space, the recipe is coming soon. Or sign up for my newsletter so you don’t miss any updates and we can be friends.
The other quick and simple recipes that will go well together with this delicious Middle Eastern chicken shawarma recipe:
Incredibly delicious Middle Eastern Chicken Shawarma Recipe
- 6 skinless and boneless chicken thigh fillets
Chicken Shawarma Marinade:
Middle Eastern Yoghurt Sauce
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt I use organic 5 am yoghurt
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dry mint
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- Salt and pepper
- Flat bread and lettuce leaves of your choice.
- Start by combining all the marinade ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add the chicken thighs and mix everything well so that all chicken pieces are evenly coated with the marinade. Let the chicken marinate in the fridge overnight or up to 24 hours.
- Now combine all yoghurt ingredients in a bowl and mix. Store in a glass jar or airtight container.
- Prepare the BBQ or use the griddle, if cooking chicken on the stove.
- Place chicken on the BBQ/griddle and cook the chicken until it fully cooked. Keep it warm until ready to be served.
- This chicken recipe is perfect meal prep. Marinate the chicken, put it in a freezer bag or container, and freeze for later use. Simply take it out of the freezer the night before and let it defrost in the fridge.
- Yoghurt sauce will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 3 days.