Sometimes I try a recipe and my heart jumps from happiness! This it is! I have to share! Exactly this happened when I cooked this Cajun chicken with coleslaw recipe I saw on Instagram a couple of weeks ago. The recipe called for ground beef and some Cajun seasoning. I have never heard of Cajun seasoning before, but otherwise, it looked amazing, was very simple to prepare and totally got my attention. Later that day while shopping at my local butcher I saw the CAJUN SEASONING!! It was clear, the universe was giving me a sign to try and make it. So I bought a tin of Walkers & Sons cajun seasoning, and oh my, I am glad I did.
As already mentioned, I didn’t have any idea about the existence of Cajun seasoning. I must have been living on the moon until now because Google has 16,000,000 results for this search. Anyway, if you are like me and have never heard about this amazing mix, GIVE IT A GO!!! (Excuse my shouting :)) And if you have cooked with this for years, still give it a go, because this one is just finger-licking good!
This recipe is quick!! There are a ton of 20 minutes recipes on the web that can’t ever be done in such a short time, however, this one is really done in 20 minutes, I promise. There are only a few ingredients and all you need to do is add some steamed rice. But you can also just double the coleslaw amount and eat like this if you are counting your carbs.
What will you need to make this chicken dinner:
Chicken mince. I prefer to use chicken mince made out of thighs, not breast. I found breast mince is a bit plain and not as flavorsome as the thigh mince.
Coleslaw. I just bought a 200g bag of coleslaw from Coles, so easy.
Some chopped onions and capsicum. This is the only bit that requires some work. You will have to chop them.
And… drum roll please… CAJUN SEASONING. For those of you who like me have never heard about it, Cajun seasoning is a mix of salt, red pepper, black pepper, and garlic. It is spicy, salty, and absolutely delicious.
OK, enough talking, here is how I made my new favorite chicken dinner: Cajun chicken with coleslaw.
How to make finger-licking cajun chicken with coleslaw in 20 minutes.
- 300 g of free-range minced chicken
- 200 g of the fresh store-bought coleslaw mix 400g if preparing this recipe without rice, see note
- 1 onion diced
- 1/2 red capsicum bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 green capsicum bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup of cooked rice
- 1 tbsp of Cajun seasoning I used Slap Ya Mama, from Walker and Son's
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp Tamari sauce gluten-free soy sauce
- Optional: avocado and lime wedges to serve
- Add diced onion and cook for a couple of minutes until the onions have softened.
- Add diced capsicum and cook for another couple of minutes, stirring as needed.
- Now add the chicken mince and the cajun seasoning and cook until the chicken is cooked through.
- Add the coleslaw and let it cook down, it will take 2 to 3 minutes. Do not overcook the coleslaw.
- Add the cooked rice to the chicken and coleslaw and mix well to combine. Give the rice a minute or two to warm up.
- Add soy sauce, mix well and serve. Yum!
Looking fore more family-friendly dinner ideas? Check out our dinner section here.