Did anybody say chicken meatballs in tomato sauce? My kids come running because they LOVE meatballs.
You guys will love them too. How do I know? Because my recent THE ONLY CHICKEN MEATBALLS RECIPE YOU WILL EVER NEED post is one of your most favourite recipes on my blog. And what did I do? I've paired those delicious gluten-free meatballs with some rich tangy tomato sauce. The result? Sensational family chicken dinner!
Six reasons to love this chicken meatball recipe:
- These chicken meatballs are gluten-free of course.
- Easy to prepare.
- Family-friendly, what kid doesn't like spaghetti with meatballs, right?
- They are great as meal prep and freezer friendly.
- These chicken meatballs are very budget-friendly. They are way cheaper than any takeaway you could get for your family and are so much better for you.
- And don't forget they are absolutely delicious!
And here is the quick step by step how to make these sensational chicken meatballs in tomato sauce
Sensational chicken meatballs in tomato sauce.
Delicious gluten-free chicken meatballs in tomato sauce that your whole family will love. A great alternative to a takeaway dinner.
- 500 g of organic or free-range chicken mince. I always use chicken thigh mince.
- ½ brown onion though any onion will work very finely chopped or grated. If your food processor can handle a small amount like this, use it to chop your onion very small.
- ¼ cup of any cooked rice
- 1 handful of baby spinach finely chopped
- 1 free-range egg
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
For the tomato sauce:
- ½ onion finely diced
- 500 ml passata plain tomato sauce
- ¼ chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon of maple syrup to balance the acidity of the tomato sauce.
- Salt and pepper
- Grated parmesan cheese to serve
- In a large mixing bowl combine the chicken mince, rice, spinach, egg, salt, and pepper. Mix everything together. Don't be afraid to use your hands here.
- Heat some olive oil in a large frying pan. Form little balls from the chicken mixture. I rub a little bit of olive oil on my hands so the mince doesn't stick to my hands.
- Fry the chicken meatballs for 3-4 minutes on each side, until they look crisp and golden. Take them out, put in a bowl, and set aside.
- In the same frying pan (don't wash it) saute the onions for around 10 to 15 minutes, until the onions are soft and sweet.
- Add the passata, maple syrup, and chicken stock, bring to the boil. Add the chicken meatballs to the tomato sauce and lower the heat. Simmer with the lid on for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook your spaghetti.
- Dinner is ready to be served!
If you have time, refrigerate the chicken mixture before you roll the meatballs. It will help to keep them in the ball-shape. They are perfect for meal-prep. Refrigerate them in an air-tight container for up to 3 days.
Delicious, we love it!
So happy you guys enjoyed it!! 😊