Last week I posted this INCREDIBLY DELICIOUS MIDDLE EASTERN CHICKEN SHAWARMA RECIPE. I also promised you that I will write a recipe for the perfect salad to go with it. Tada!! Here it comes, the best spiced chickpea salad recipe you have ever had! This recipe is adapted from Yotam Ottolenghi's spiced chickpea salad recipe. It was originally published in The Guardian a long time ago. Ever since I made this recipe for the first time it became our staple recipe. Over time I have adjusted the recipe a little and am sharing with you my version of the Middle Eastern Chickpea Salad.
The recipe is really very straightforward. The only step that requires some effort is the frying of chickpeas, but it is also done in 5 minutes. Otherwise, you chop all the vegetables, mix the dressing, and here you go, a very simple but yet delicious addition to your BBQ is ready to be served.
I love making a big batch of this salad because it keeps really well for a couple of days. It makes a perfect leftover for your Monday lunch. This simple salad is not only delicious but comes with a lot of goodness. It is packed with vitamins, minerals, healthy fats, and plant proteins from chickpeas. By the way, if you are trying to cut your meat consumption, a cup of chickpeas provides almost one-third of an adult’s daily protein requirement.
And here is the best spiced chickpea salad recipe step by step:
The best chickpea salad recipe you have ever had
Middle Eastern Spiced Chickpeas
- 1 can of organic chickpeas drained. No need to rinse. (400g, BPA free)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon All spice
- ¼ salt
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Lebanese cucumbers or 1 large telegraph cucumber diced
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes diced (250g)
- ¼ cup fresh coriander leaves roughly chopped
- Optional: 1 small red onion finely diced. Leave it out of you suffer from IBS or have sensitivity to onions.
Middle Eastern Salad Dressing
- ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil approx. 60ml
- zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice approx 50 ml
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove pressed
- 1 teaspoon organic raw sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start by combining the salad dressing ingredients in a jar and shake. Set aside.
- Drain the chickpeas, place them in a mixing bowl and add the spices. Toss to combine.
- Heat some extra virgin oil in a large frying pan and once hot transfer the spiced chickpeas into the frying pan. Cook on a high heat for a couple of minutes. Take the chickpeas out and let them cool.
- In a large salad bowl combine the diced tomatoes, cucumbers, and coriander (plus onions, if using). Add the dressing and the spiced chickpeas and stir gently.
- Your Middle Eastern Spiced Chickpea Salad is ready to be served.