Soft, juicy chicken thighs paired with button mushrooms, coated in a thick, creamy sauce. 100/10 with my family and hope yours will enjoy it too!
One pot of delicious creamy chicken with mushrooms for dinner tonight. Absolutely perfect for those cold nights when you need something warm and comforting. The chicken melts in your mouth, the mushrooms are juicy and the sauce is just heavenly good! Grab a fork!! No wait, you need a spoon, for the sauce 😉
Chicken thigh recipes
Who doesn't like a quick and easy dinner, right? Here on my blog, the chicken recipes are definitely the most popular ones by far. This new simple recipe is not going to disappoint you. It is comforting and filling and is very easy to prepare. Your new go-to weeknight dinner in 30 minutes.
Why make it
- This recipe is gluten-free. We use gluten-free flour to coat the chicken and thicken the creamy sauce.
- Very easy recipe
- Perfect for weekly meal prep
- Family and budget friendly
- Great for fussy eaters
- Chicken thigh recipes
- Why make it
- How to make it
- How to serve
- How to tell if the chicken is cooked through
- Tips and tricks.
- How to store
- How to freeze
- Watch how to make it
- More delicious creamy chicken recipes to try:
- Creamy chicken and mushrooms recipe
- Watch how to make it
- Chicken thighs. Use the ones without the bone for faster cooking. Thighs are juicy, meaty, and taste delicious paired with mushrooms and cream sauce.
- Herbs. Any kind of herbs is going to work in this recipe. Choose your favourite. I like using the Italian dry mix, but you can use whatever you have on hand. You can even use fresh herbs if you have some in your fridge. One or two tablespoons of chopped herbs will add some extra fresh flavour and nutritional value.
- Gluten-free all-purpose flour. The flour will make the chicken skin extra crispy. You can also use fine rice flour.
- Chicken stock. Store-bought chicken stock is fine, but do check out how to make homemade chicken stock, it is easier than you might think.
The full list of ingredients is in the recipe card below.
How to make it
We will start by searing the chicken thighs. When frying the chicken thighs the most important tip is to make sure not to overcrowd the pan. We want the chicken to be nicely coloured and crisp, not pale and steamed.
- Mix the gluten-free flour, herbs, salt and black pepper in a large bowl. Add the chicken thighs to the bowl and toss until chicken pieces are coated evenly with flour mix. See in the tips or video below how to make it quickly.
- Heat some olive oil in a large heavy frying pan or a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot place chicken pieces into the pan, the skin facing down.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes on each side until the chicken has a nice golden colour. Take the chicken out.
The creamy sauce
The sauce is the king of this dish. It is rich in flavour while still light enough to be a part of a healthy family diet. No parmesan cheese and only a little bit of butter and cream. Tons of flavour with fewer calories.
- Do not wash the frying pan. Add the butter to it. This is the secret to the most delicious sauces.
- Now add the mushrooms to the frying pan and cook them until they have just softened.
- Add tomato paste and cook for a minute, stirring constantly.
- Add chicken stock and fresh cream, and bring to a simmer. Cook on low heat for 4-5 minutes. Do not boil it.
- Place the chicken thighs back into the pan, skin facing up.
- Cook on medium heat for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Optional: Bake the chicken for the last 5 minutes in an oven at 400F (200'C) to make the skin extra nice and golden.
How to serve
This delicious dish is very versatile. You can serve it with freshly cooked gluten-free pasta, my kids' favourite, or basmati rice. It will also taste great with mashed potatoes and steamed or roasted vegetables.
For a low-carb or keto diet, serve it with cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles.
How to tell if the chicken is cooked through
If you are worried about your chicken being undercooked, use an instant-read thermometer. The chicken is done when the meat has reached 75'C (165'F)
Tips and tricks.
- Did your chicken come in a plastic bag? Add the gluten-free flour, herbs, salt and pepper straight to the bag with the chicken pieces. Tie up the bag and shake it. The chicken thighs will be perfectly coated. No need to dirty a bowl. Watch the video to see how I did it.
- Roast the chicken in an oven for the last 5 minutes at 200’C (400’F) to add extra colour to the dish.
- Do NOT let the sauce boil, it might lead to the sauce separating. While it will still taste great, it won't have the creamy texture and the silky look.
- Use chicken breast instead of chicken thighs. Cut the chicken breasts in half horizontally to make two thin steaks.
- Use fresh herbs instead of dry ones. Parsley, dill, tarragon, oregano and basil are all great options.
- Don't have gluten-free flour on hand? Use fine rice flour instead.
- Use white wine to add French flavours to the dish. Instead of using chicken stock to deglaze tomato paste, add ½ cup of dry white wine, cook for 3-4 minutes then add the chicken stock and cream. Proceed with the remaining recipe steps.
- Add some chilli flakes to the flour and herbs mix to make this dish spicy.
How to store
Prepared the dish ahead of time or have some leftovers? Allow the chicken to cool down completely, transfer it to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Ready to serve? Bring the sauce and chicken to a simmer (not boil) and let it cook on low heat for 10-15 minutes until the chicken is heated through.
Add some chicken stock or a splash of water if the sauce gets too thick.
How to freeze
This chicken dinner can be a great meal prep option. Cook the chicken and mushrooms, and allow it to cool. Transfer it to a freezer-safe container and freeze the creamy chicken for up to 3 months.
To reheat, defrost the chicken overnight in a fridge. Once defrosted, warm up it up in a pan with a splash of chicken stock or water over low heat, until the chicken is heated throughout. Do NOT boil the creamy sauce to avoid sauce separation.
Yes, you can use chicken thighs or even the drumsticks in this recipe. Increase cooking time to 45 minutes.
If you are NOT following a gluten-free diet, feel free to use wheat flour instead. Do not use it if you are cooking for someone with gluten intolerance or celiac disease.
Yes, as are all other recipes on this blog. Enjoy!
Watch how to make it
This recipe is adapted from the taste.com.au
More delicious creamy chicken recipes to try:
Creamy chicken and mushrooms recipe
- 6 chicken thighs with skin on bone out
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose gluten-free flour or use rice flour.
- 1 teaspoon of dried mixed herbs such as an Italian dry herbs mix.
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoon butter use grass-fed or organic if possible
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 250 grams buttoned mushrooms halved or quartered
- 1 ½ cups of chicken stock
- 50- millilitres pouring cream organic if possible
- Fresh herbs to serve such as parsley or dill
- Combine gluten-free flour, dried herbs, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Place chicken thighs into the bowl and mix so the chicken pieces are well coated with the flour mix.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan or dutch oven.
- Once the oil is hot add chicken thighs. Skin facing down.
- Fry the chicken over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes on each side until the chicken is nice and golden. Take the chicken out.
- In the same pan where you fried the chicken, add the butter. DO NOT wash the frying pan.
- Add the mushrooms and fry them until they have softened a little.
- Add the tomato paste and fry for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Pour in the chicken stock and pouring cream, mix well and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan and cook over low heat for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- You can bake the chicken for the last 5 minutes in an oven at 400F (200'C) to make the skin nice and golden. This step is optioanal.
- Serve with some fresh herbs and your choice of side.
Leave a comment