This easy rice with carrots recipe is a staple in my cooking routine. It is very easy to prepare and my boys love it. It goes well with any kind of meat, fish, chicken or just on its own with a salad on the side.
The origin of this recipe is Uzbek plov. Plov is Uzbekistan's signature dish, which surely has the same origin as pilaf. This typically made with rice, pieces of meat, grated carrots and onions. I grew up eating plov and always absolutely loved it. When I stopped eating meat for a couple of years, I would cook plov without meat and this how this recipe came to be.
What will you need to cook this delicious rice with carrots.
Rice. To cook rice with carrots you obviously need rice. Ha! For the original plov you need round white rice. However, I replaced it with basmati rice because it cooks much faster and I quite like the taste of it.
Carrots. Carrots are adding sweetness to this dish. I use carrots a lot in my cooking as they are well accepted by kids and are coming with a lot of health benefits. Carrots are high in vitamin A which helps your body fight infections. They are really good for your eyes because of the carotenoids, an antioxidant pigment found in carrots. Studies found that eating more carrots has been linked to lower cholesterol levels, thereby decreasing your risk for heart disease.
Onions. Onions are great vegetables that you should be using in your cooking as often as possible. Often overlooked and underrated, onions are a great source of many nutrients. Onions are loaded with antioxidants that inhibit oxidation, a process that leads to cellular damage and contributes to diseases like cancer, diabetes, and heart disease.
Garlic. Garlic has been used as medicine throughout history all around the world and this is for a good reason. It is like an onion rich in antioxidants. Furthermore, garlic contains vitamins and minerals with medicinal properties. Make sure you always check the origin of garlic. I prefer to buy local Australian garlic and always avoid using garlic imported from China.
Chicken stock (you can use vegetable stock as well to make it vegan if you prefer). I always have chicken stock in my fridge. I cook a big pot of stock once or twice a week and use it in my cooking daily. Chicken broth is rich in essential fatty acids and protein. Both help your body build and repair healthy muscle, bone, skin, and blood cells.
As you can see this humble simple dish is a really good addition to your weekly plan. Go ahead and give it a go. I am sure you will like it just as much as we do. Let me know in the comments below if you made it.
And now let's cook this delicious easy rice with carrots.
The easy rice with carrots recipe
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2.5 cups of chicken stock or any other stock or broth of your choice
- 1 large or 2 smaller carrots peeled and grated
- 1 large onion any onion will work, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves pressed
- 3-4 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- t tsp salt
- black pepper to season
- Start by washing your rice in a mesh colander under the running water until the water is totally clear.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook them for 2-3 minutes until the onions have softened.
- Add grated carrots and cook for 3-4 minutes until carrots have softened.
- Add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir well so that the rice is mixed with carrots, onions, and garlic, fry for 1 minute while stirring.
- Add the stock and bring it to a boil. Low the heat to low immediately and let it cook until the stock has leveled up with rice.
- Cover the rice with a lid and lower the heat to very low. Let the rice simmer for 10 minutes. Set the timer.
- Once time is up, take the rice off the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes, Don't open the lid.
- Your rice is ready to be served!
What should I serve it with?
I dont see the carrot in the recipe instructions...
Hi Marge, I am so sorry! I just added the carrots step. I don't know how I could have left carrots out completely 🙂
Thank you so much for letting me know!!!